Issabelle Harris carves a line in the Intermediate race
at Echo Valley during Play Day.
A young lady enjoys the rush and excitement of the tubing hill at Echo Valley
The kids were all smiling and having a great time racing down the slalom ski course set up at Echo Valley for the annual Play Day activities which included racing for all ages, a scavenger hunt and an obstacle course for the under 9 group.
A group of the young racers at Echo Valley’s Play Day.
A lot of volunteers make this event successful every year. Ann Congdon, Tom Allen, Eric Page, John Page, Eric and Krystina Nelson, Lucas Green and the board members of the Lake Chelan Ski Club.
The skies were blue, the weather crisp, but the snow at Echo is beginning to disappear. “I wasn’t even sure we would be able to open today,” said John Page. Fortunately, the weather turned cold and the hill was groomed enough to make for some excellent corn snow for the events.
The Poma Hill was closed, but Rope Tow 1, 2 and 3 were all operational. The Tubing Hill was busy and has plenty of snow to keep it operating for another week or two.
The views from Echo Ridge are always stunning. This is of Glacier Peak from the upper parking lot at the Ridge.
Up at Echo Ridge, it was pretty quiet. “I think a lot of people stayed away because of the harder, faster snow,” said Bruce Willett, Chelan Ranger District. But he added that the groomer had made the skiing conditions really good. “I’m hoping for more snow,” he added. Echo Ridge has a good base. The long term weather outlook is for milder, wetter conditions which would be good for both Echo Valley and Echo Ridge.
Following are the results of Saturday’s races:
ROPE 1 – INTERMEDIATE RESULTS:
- 1st – Luke Hefley – combined runs 57.20 seconds
- 2nd – Kole nelson – 63.30 seconds
- 3rd – Hannah Lyman -64.11 seconds
- 4th – Austin Pratt – 64.31 seconds
- 5th – Raden Rogge – 64.79 seconds
- 6th – Bailey Morrison – 65.42 seconds
- 7th – Lily Peterson – 66.70 seconds
- 8th – Colin Morrison – 71.25 seconds
- DQs – Raven Pope and Isabelle Harris
ROPE 1 – ADVANCED RESULTS:
- 1st – Nate Peterson – combined runs – 51.53 seconds
- 2nd – Grace Peterson – 53.35 seconds
- 3rd – George Wakeling – 53.87 seconds
- 4th – Olivia Nelson – 55.38 seconds
- 5th – Carter Lyman – 60.62 seconds
ROPE 2 – BEGINNER (under 9) RESULTS:
- 1ST – Hunter Lyman – combined runs -21.39 seconds
- 2nd – Finn Nelson – 21.67 seconds
- 3rd – Wyatt Page – 24.97 seconds
- 4th – Yui Hatanaka – 27.99 seconds
- 5th – Ryoma Hatanaka – 80.89 seconds